1. They change every fifteen minutes.
2. Every book is hand chosen; a second hand book shop is a carefully curated collection.
3. There is only ONE of each book.
4. Each volume is only there for a short time; sometimes just a few minutes.
5. Thus, you need to capture a book quickly.
6. They attract readers.
7. They attract writers.
8. They attract collectors.
9. They attract really nice people. Without exception.
10. They attract other books.
11. Books get together at night and have families.
12. They appeal to reading addictions.
13. A reading addiction is good.
14. Book shops nourish curiosity. This cures boredom.
15. But, as Dorothy Parker apparently noted, there is no cure for curiosity.
16. If you own a second hand bookshop, you will still invade every other second hand bookshop and carry all your new books home with joy.
17. People who have a second hand bookshop love selling books but then wish the books were still there, not sold.
18. People who have second hand bookshops often hide the books to take home for themselves.
19. Make your way to a second hand bookshop and see what happens.
20. Do it soon. In fifteen minutes, the shop will change again.
Image by Karbo